- 340 g (2 1/4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp.) Salt
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Cocoa powder, sifted
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) Vinegar
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) Vanilla extract
- 7.5 mL (1 1/2 tsp.) Red gel food coloring
- 1/2 cup (116 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 315 g (1 1/2 cups) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 172 g (3/5 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature 20 minutes
- 37.5 ml (2 1/2 tbsp.) Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- 140 g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 1 block of 250 g cream cheese, softened
- Put the grill at the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (352 ° F). Butter and flour the sides and line the bottoms of two 20-cm (8-inch) springform pans with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combiine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Reserve.
- In another bowl, combine cocoa, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring.
- Put the grill at the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (352 ° F). Butter and flour the sides and line the bottoms of two 20-cm (8-inch) springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combiine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Reserve.
- In another bowl, combine cocoa, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring.
- In a third bowl, cream the buutter with the sugar and the cocoa mixture with an electric miixer. Add the eggs, one at a tiime, and whisk until well combined. At low speed, incorporate the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Distribute the dough evenly among the molds.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpiick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Unmold.
- Cut and remove caps from cooled cakes to make them flat. Using your fingers, finely crumble the cake caps and distribute the crumbs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a food processor, reduce the cake crumbs to breadcrumbs. Pass through a sieve in a bowl, stirring to obtain fine breadcrumbs. Reserve the cake crumbs. Discard any crumbs that remain at the bottom of the sieve.
- Cut each cake in half horiizontally to obtain 4 slices.
- Top each slice of cake with 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the frosting. Layer the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and completely cover the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Cover cake completely with breadcrumbs, pressing lightly. Gently smooth the breadcrumbs with your hands to achieve the appearance of velvet.
- Using a large spatula, place the cake on a serving platter.