I was on a cruise through the Mediterranean for about 2 weeks and not only did we try foods from different cultures in the different countries, but the cruise also served food from the respective country we were at for the day. We had stopped in Florence and after a long day of exploring, made it back to the ship to shower and have dinner.
When we got to the table, our waiter offered us a new dish of healthy orange chicken. I had no idea what that was, but since everything else did not appeal to me, I figured I would go with the new dish they were offering. When it got to the table, it was a delicious combination of white and pink sauce coating a bed of very thin angel hair spaghetti, then it had a chicken breast on top coated in the sauce as well with a very distinct Italian seasoning.
It was really a very delicious and neat experience to have on that ship as their debut dish for the season. The dish was so good, as soon as I got home, it was the first meal I prepared.
- 4-5 Boneless Chicken Breasts – Thawed
- 3/4 cup Orange Marmalade (or Apricot Preserves)
- 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- Sesame Seeds and Orange Zest for garnish (optional)
- Serve over: Rice, Peas, Cabbage, etc..
Orange Marmalade Substitutes:
- Reduce Orange Juice
- Apricot Preserves
- Orange Zest, Sugar and Water over LOW heat
- Cook the Chicken in the crock pot on HIGH for 3 hours – covered
- Drain the Juice from the Crock Pot
- Mix the BBQ sauce, Orange Marmalade, and Soy Sauce
- Pour Mix over chicken, cover and cook on high for an additional 30 minutes.
- Steam your rice and veggies, place in the bowl and serve.