There are casseroles that are time-intensive and totally from scratch and then there are casseroles that take a few basic ingredients and quickly combine them in a way that somehow makes them even better, even more comforting. This Hamburger Supreme Casserole is more of the latter, the type of cozy casserole that families have been turning to for decades when they want something easy and sure to be delicious. It’s humble, but it always hits the spot.
It’s a hearty casserole – there’s macaroni and ground beef, tender canned mushrooms and plenty of melty cheddar and it’s all tucked into a creamy and flavorful base.
Since this relies on cream of mushroom soup for much of its creaminess, you don’t have to build a sauce, per se. You just brown up the ground beef and onions and then stir in the mushrooms, soup, and some milk. It’s a quick and convenient sauce, but most importantly it’s really yummy!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (4 oz) can mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 2-quart casserole dish with butter or nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni 1 to 2 minutes less than package directions call for, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, season beef with garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper and brown with onions until cooked through and onions are tender.
- Stir in soup, milk, and mushrooms and season to taste.
- Arrange half of meat mixture into bottom of baking dish. Layer with half of the macaroni and half of the cheese. Layer once more with remaining meat and remaining macaroni.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
Recipe adapted from The Southern Lady Cooks.