How to make the best carrot cake recipe with the cream cheese frosting. So, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit that’s 180 degrees Celsius, and then you’re going to need two 9-inch pans with two-inch sides.
And either butter or spray them with a nonstick vegetable spray, and line the bottoms with the piece of parchment paper or you could use wax paper to help your carrot cake from not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Then follow the instruction below…
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (100 grams) pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 pound (340 grams) raw carrots (about 2 1/2 cups finely grated)
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) safflower, vegetable or canola oil (or other flavorless oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces (227 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups (230 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (outer yellow skin) (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray two – 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper.
2) Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
3) Peel and finely grate the carrots.
4) In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
5) In the bowl of an electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light-colored (about 3 – 4 minutes). Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
6) With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7) Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.
To assemble: place one cake layer onto your serving plate. Spread with about half the frosting. Gently place the other cake onto the frosting and spread the rest of the frosting over the top of the cake. If desired, garnish with toasted nuts on the top of the cake. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. Serves 10 – 12.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1) In the bowl of an electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the cream cheese and butter, on low speed, just until blended with no lumps. Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, at low speed, until fully incorporated and smooth.
2) Beat in the vanilla extract, and lemon zest.