This incredible homemade German Chocolate Cake with layers of coconut pecan frosting and chocolate frosting is the BEST cake ever..a family favourite especially for birthdays !! Made with the coconut frosting in between the layers and on top of the cake, and homemade chocolate frosting covering the outside that’s unapologetically decadent and indulgent !!
YOU’LL NEED :
– Boiling water: 1/2 cup
– Sweet cooking German chocolate: 4 ounces
– Sugar: 2 cups
– Butter: 1 cup (softened)
– Egg yolks: 4
– Vanilla: 1 teaspoon
– Cake flour: 2 1/2 cups
– Baking soda: 1 teaspoon
– Salt: 1 teaspoon
– Buttermilk: 1 cup
– Egg whites: 4 (stiffly beaten)
#Coconut Pecan Frosting:
– Sugar: 1 cup ( 1 1/2 cups)
– Butter : 1/2 cup ( 3/4 cups)
– Evaporated milk: 1 cup ( 12 oz. can)
– Vanilla : 1 teaspoon ( 1 1/2 tsp)
– Egg yolks: 3 ( 4 egg yolks)
– Flaked coconut: 1 1/3 cups ( 2 cups)
– Chopped pecans: 1 cup ( 1 1/2 cups)
1. First, adjust your oven’s temperature to 350 degrees F and grease 2 9-inch square pans or 3 8-inch round pans.
2. Next, you need to pour boiling water on chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted. Once melted, permit cooled.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Then beat in eggs yolk, one at a time. Finally, beat in on low speed chocolate and vanilla.
4. Alternately with buttermilk, go ahead and mix in flour, baking soda and salt. Carefully, beat after each addition until batter is smooth. And please fold in egg whites.
5. Make sure batter is divided among pans and bake square pans for about 40 to 45 minutes or round pans for around 35 to 40 minutes. You’ll want to check for doneness using toothpick in center. Cool and top with Coconut-Pecan Frosting.
6. To prepare coconut pecan frosting, you’re going to get a saucepan and mix in sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and egg yolks. Ok, cook over medium heat for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick.
7. Time done, take off heat then stir in coconut and pecans. Finally, you can beat until spreading consistency. Always remember to allow to cool and thicken before icing cake & ENJOY !!!