We have been making this Southern Beef Stew for about 40 years. It has always been a family favorite.
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour for dredging meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 whole onion diced into large pieces
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 4-5 large potatoes diced into large pieces
- Dredge pieces of beef in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Brown beef on all sides.
- Place beef in a Dutch oven and add enough water to barely cover meat.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat to low and simmer covered at least 2 hours or until tender.
- Add carrot, onion, peas and potatoes.
- Add enough water to barely cover vegetables.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- At this point I remove the lid and let it simmer a few minutes
- longer or until it starts to thicken.
- Stir occasionally to keep from sticking.
- This is good served with hot biscuits and homemade apple sauce.