Category: CakeType: Loaf CakeKeyword: Chocolate Prep Time: 30 minutesCook Time: 1 hourCooling Time: 4 hoursTotal Time: 5 hours 30 minutes Servings: 12 Slices Author: Jane’s Patisserie
- 175 g Dark Chocolate
- 175 g Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsps Instant Coffee
- 100 ml Boiling Water
- 135 g Plain Flour
- 25 g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 300 g Light Brown Sugar (or caster sugar)
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 75 ml Buttermilk
- 125 g Unsalted Butter (room temp – not stork/spread)
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 25 g Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla (optional)
- 50-75 ml Evaporated Milk
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and line a 2lb loaf tin!
- In a microwave proof bowl, add the chocolate and butter and heat and mix until melted. I usually do 30 second bursts!
- Add the coffee granules to a mug, and pour over the boiling water and mix till smooth – add the coffee mix into the chocolate/butter and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar to a large bowl and whisk till distributed.
- In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk and eggs.
- Add the three mixes together – I pour the chocolate/coffee mix and the egg/buttermilk mix into the dry ingredients and fold until smooth. You do not need to use a stand mixer as you may over-mix it.
- Pour the mixture into the lined 2lb loaf tin – bake in the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until baked through!
- Leave to cool fully once baked!
For the Frosting
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature!
- Beat the butter on it’s own for a few minutes to soften!
- Add in the icing sugar and cocoa powder 1/2 at a time, and beat until combined.
- Add the vanilla, and then the evaporated milk a little at a time beating fully in-between each go!
- Slather the frosting onto the top of the loaf cake, and then decorate how you want – chocolates and more!
- Sprinkle on your favourite sprinkles and enjoy!
- This recipe is based on my Chocolate Fudge Cake and Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with a few changes to suit the loaf cake!
- I used this 2lb loaf tin as always!
- The evaporated milk cannot be switched to condensed milk.
- PLEASE USE THE COFFEE – it just makes it taste more chocolatey, it doesn’t taste of coffee.
- You can make your own buttermilk with 75ml full-fat milk, and 1tbsp of lemon juice.
- This cake will last for 3-4 days, at room temp.