Made this today and my 7 year old and twin 10 month olds loved it! My older son stirred peas into it and gobbled it down & wanted seconds. I was scared to make this as I haven’t historically had good luck with “roux,” but this seemed so easy! To up the creamy factor, I used half skim milk and half half-n-half (would’ve used fat free evap. milk, but didn’t have any). Turned out very smooth and creamy, though I have to admit I thought the flavor was a little bland. Next time I will throw in some extra cheese. I kept the burner on medium-low the whole time so as not to burn the butter or milk.
16 ounces elbow macaroni (about 3 cups)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 ½ cups milk, divided
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 16 oz. box elbow macaroni
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (reserve 1 cup for the top)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ stick of butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Prepare macaroni according to instructions on box.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Add 3 cups of cheese, milk, eggs, butter and cream cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.