This Lazy Day Oatmeal Cake moist and irresistible!! A family favorite and one of those desserts that’s been passed down from my grandmother to mom and now to me. A MUST try cake recipe!
– 1 cup rolled oats
– 1 1/4 cups boiling water
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
– 1 cup sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
– 1/2 cup of brown sugar
– 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
– 3/4 cup of shredded coconut
– Optional; powdered sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350º F then with butter or non-stick spray, grease lightly an 8×8-inch baking dish.
2. In a heatproof bowl, place oats and pour boiling water over them the set aside to let soak for about 20 minutes.
3. Pick a medium bowl and whisk in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Set aside.
4. Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl or mixer until fluffy and lightened in color, about 2 to 3 minutes. Then beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
5. Fold soaked oats into egg mixture, then mix in dry ingredients until incorporated and smooth.
6. Pour batter into greased baking dish and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 to 50 minutes.
7. You should mix melted butter, brown sugar, cream and shredded coconut while cake bakes.
8. Now remove cake from oven and pour topping evenly over the top, then return cake to oven and broil until bubbly and golden, about 2-4 minutes.
9. Finally, remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.