An obvious Chicken Cordon Bleu which is quick to cook, and baked rather than fried. All the flavor, all the crunch, a gorgeous golden crumb, and it’s more satisfying for you!
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
“Cordon Bleu” translates to the blue ribbon and I can guarantee you this easy recipe is deserving of the title! A traditional cordon bleu has dainty chicken wrapped around ham and swiss cheese but you can combine and match the parts to this recipe and be productive!
- HAM: swap ham for prosciutto in this recipe
- CHEESE: Swap out the Swiss for provolone or even cheddar cheese! Cheese slices provide a thicker cheese layer, shredded cheeses can melt into the chicken.
- BREADCRUMBS: This recipe does seasoned breadcrumbs. You can change Panko or make your own seasoned crumbs by combining1/4 a teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
How to make chicken cordon bleu:
1. Prep chicken breasts. Utilize a sharp knife to cut each chicken breast in half horizontally to form two chicken breast halves. Set between two sheets of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to crush them into thin, even pieces
2. Top with ham and cheese. Top every piece of chicken with a part of ham and a ham handful of shredded cheese.
3. Roll tightly, tucking the sides a little, and set on a piece of plastic wrap .4. Wrap chicken tightly in the plastic wrap, pressing the excess plastic on the sides to form a tootsie-roll shape and turning them to create a firm chicken roll. Freeze the wrapped chicken bundles for at least 30-minutes or up to one day in advance.
5. Coat with breadcrumbs. Lift chicken from the fridge, unwrap and fall with salt and pepper. Combine cornflakes to a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Combine crumbs to a simple dish or pie plate. Melt butter in a separate lightweight dish.
6. Bake on the middle oven rack for about 30 minutes, or till chicken is cooked through
7. Top with sauce. Begin the sauce by stirring the mayo and mustard together. Taste and join more mustard, as wanted, to taste.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Prepare the recipe through step 4 . Store for up to one day and prepare as directed.
To freeze: Prepare the recipe through step 4 and place wrapped chicken breasts in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 chicken breasts boneless/skinless
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 slices ham
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese or Gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Pound chicken to ¼” thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top each chicken breast with 1 slice of ham and about 1 oz cheese. Roll the chicken jelly roll style. Secure with a toothpick.
Combine butter and garlic in a small dish. Mix breadcrumbs and thyme in a separate bowl. Dip each chicken roll in butter and then into the breadcrumb mixture.
Place in a baking dish and bake 35-40 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
Melt butter in a small sauce pan. Add flour and cook 1 minute.
Add in milk and wine a little bit at a time stirring after each addition until the mixture is smooth. Add in Dijon, bouillon and Worcestershire. Bring to a boil while whisking and reduce heat. Simmer 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over chicken.