- 1/2 cup (250 grams) semolina (semolina)
- 2 tablespoons of white granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dessert yeast (baking powder)
- 7 tablespoons (100 grams) butter (softened)
- 1/5 cup (100 ml) milk (or as needed)
First step – preparing the dough:
- Place the semolina in a bowl, then add the sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix and stir the ingredients well together. Semolina needs this recipe – so if you try to replace it – the answer is no!
- Melt the butter in the miicrowave or a saucepan.
- Then add the butter to the semolina mixture and mix all the ingredients with a spoon. This recipe is not for diet so don’t complain about the amount of butter!
- When it becomes difficult to mix with a spoon, use your hands to mix and knead the ingredients together!
- Then add the milk and continue mixing and kneading the mixture until you get a smooth dough.
- Then let the dough rest for 6 minutes.
The second step – shaping the barca
- Bring a frying pan, place it on medium heat, and let the pan to heat up!
- In the meantime, we go back to the dough … You will notice that it has become drier, because the semolina has absorbed the milk. And if the dough is very dry, add a little milk and then knead the dough until the milk absorbs and the dough becomes soft again.
- To get an excellent shape for the haracha, I will use a medium cookie cutter to create medium sized shapes. You can make a large or small one, depending on the size of the harcha. The thickness of the dough should be about 1/4 inch. If it is thin, then the harcha will be crunchy, but if it is thicker it will become soft.
- When you shape the discs, place them on a baking sheet, so that it is easy to transfer them to the skillet.
Step Three – Harcha Bread:
- Reduce the heat to low – very imporrtant, otherwise the harcha will burn from the outside and from the inside it will not be cooked (soft) – the heat is calm. Place the harcha in the pan, then cook both sides for 5 minutes. You will see that the surface becomes beautiful golden brown and the tablets begin to dry out. If you press on it, it will feel dry. Then turn it over to the other side and allow it to cook completely.
- Then leave the harcha to cool a little, and then cut it in the middle with a sharp knife. If it is still too hot and the knife is not sharp it will crumble.
- Fill the harcha with the filling you like. You can use cheese, jam, honey, or whatever you like!