Italian Christmas Cookies are soft, buttery, fluffy and melt in your mouth delicious. Flavored with a hint of vanilla and a sweet glaze, these tasty treats are a perfect holiday treat. Take them to your next cookie exchange, party or just for fun occasion!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Christmas sprinkles for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until fluffy with the paddle attachment. Add in the ricotta cheese and eggs, vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and powder. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and beat together until combined.
- Scoop the dough into teaspoons and roll into a ball. Drop on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until just set. Remove onto a wire rack to let cool.
To make the glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and almond extract until you get the desired consistency. I like to dip the top of the cookies in the glaze and let them set on parchment paper. Sprinkle with Christmas sprinkles immediately.