We prepare this cucumber salad once a week in the summer. It’s too easy to make because it takes 5 minutes or less to be ready, and it’s perfect for eating as a snack, with toast for a light dish, as a side dish, or garnishes.
- 1 ½ large cucumber
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon of dill
- ¼ cup unsweetened natural Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumbers, cut them in half to remove the seeds, and then cut them into slices to make cucumber half-moons.
- In a bowl, mix the lemon juice, unsweetened natural Greek yogurt, fresh chopped basil (or dry if you don’t have any), dry or fresh dill, and salt – pepper taste.
- Mix well and serve. You can serve it in one hour or more in advance so that the flavors will blend better, but I really like the cucumber to be crisp, so I serve it on the spot.
- If you use fresh dill, use 1 tablespoon, and if you use dry basil, use 1 tablespoon. Dried herbs are stronger, so the amounts have to be modified.
- The natural, unsweetened Greek yogurt I use is the brand name HEB or Fage.
- Dill: If you don’t have dill or don’t get it, you can try preparing it without dill. It will taste good but not as good as it is written ;). You can add more basil or even add dried or finely chopped mint or fresh mint to taste.