Hot Chocolate Bombs are chocolate spheres filled with homemade chocolate milk powder and marshmallows that are put into a mug with hot milk for a delicious cup of hot cocoa. Try my Best Homemade Hot Cocoa for another rich and creamy hot chocolate recipe.
The title of these balls of chocolate is pretty accurate. The balls are filled with chocolate milk powder and marshmallows. When hot milk is added to the bombs, they open up, or ‘explode’ to let the hot chocolate mix and marshmallows out. When stirred, you have a decadent and delicious cup of hot chocolate!
INGREDIENTS CHOCOLATE MILK POWDER
- ⅔ cup (133g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (39g) cocoa powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons chocolate milk powder, divided
- 3 tablespoons mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 silicone chocolate bomb mold
INSTRUCTIONS CHOCOLATE MILK POWDER
- To get started, get out a jar with a lid or a food processor.
- Combine the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Use a food processor or shake up the ingredients in a sealed container until all the ingredients are mixed together. Store in a sealed container in a cool, dry place.
MELTING CHOCOLATE–DOUBLE BOILER METHOD
- Fill a medium pot almost halfway with water. Bring the water to a simmer over low heat.
- Place a heat-safe bowl (glass or stainless steel) that can just fit on top of the pot of simmering water, but leaves a gap between the water and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the chocolate chips to the bowl. Keep the heat on low and use a rubber spatula to stir the melting chocolate chips until smooth. Remove the bowl of chocolate, but leave the water in the pot to be used later.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the melted chocolate to each of the six chocolate molds. Use the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of each mold. Make sure the entire inside of each mold is evenly coated with chocolate. (Save extra chocolate to use later.)
- Freeze the chocolate for 10 minutes, or until completely set.
- Once set, carefully remove the chocolate cups from the mold, placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
ASSEMBLING HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
- Flip over three of the molds to be filled. Fill each of the three halves with 2 tablespoons of the chocolate milk powder and 1 tablespoon of mini marshmallows.
- Place the other three halves, seam-side down, on a separate baking sheet. Place the sheet on top of the pot of warm water over low heat to slightly melt the rims of the molds.
- With gloves on (so you don’t leave fingerprints) cover each filled chocolate half with an empty half, sealing it.
- Decorate with any extra melted chocolate, sprinkles, and other candies. Use immediately, or within 24 hours, for best results. Store at room temperature.
- To make hot chocolate, add a chocolate bomb into a mug. Slowly pour about 1½ cups of hot milk over the bombs and stir. Sip and enjoy!