- 8 chicken thighs, with skin, pierced all over with a small knife
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded, or cayenne to taste
- Juice and zest of 1 whole lemon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or ground coriander
- Put chicken thighs in a bowl. Mince garlic, ginger and pepper. Toss with all remaining ingredients or put in a small food pPut chicken thighs in a bowl. Mince garlic, ginger and pepper. Toss with all remaining ingredients or put in a small food processor, and grind to a paste. (It is O.K. if the coriander seeds are not fully pulverized. They will add a little crunch.)
- Rub mixture thoroughly into chicken. At this point, you can cover, and refrigerate for up to a day.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put thighs, skin side up, in a roasting pan. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes or until done.